About Me

My photo
I'm pretty much a typist for the Holy Spirit. I try to put those things into words in a blog called Jane's Journey. I have another blog for recipes called My Life in Food. Also Really Cool Stuff features Labyrinths and other things like how to fry an egg on the sidewalk.(first step: don't do it on the sidewalk, use a skillet) Come along with me as I careen through life.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Happy Wednesday

Happy Wednesday. I don't have anything to post today. We're outside finishing (let us pray) a deck we started about two years or 2 months ago, depending on who you ask.

I intended to bring you words of wisdom about the two year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina but I stay pretty busy nowadays planning our trip in Oct to continue the rebuilding effort in Pearlington, Mississippi which is now one of my favorite places on earth.

Everyone you talk to in this town says that none of the rebuilding would happen without the faith based organizations. The town is covered up in Presbyterians, Methodists, Mennonites, Baptists and the Salvation Army. The Red Cross, or "clipboards",as they're referred to in Pearlington, left after a couple of weeks when they finished delivering tents and MREs.

It's a very simple operation here. No one had money. No one had insurance. No one had anything. There's not much they can do on their own. They get grants to pay for the material and we provide the labor. It may be slow but we're ahead of New Orleans where the various governments seem to be bumping into each other looking for someone to blame.

I take that back, the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance has made a camp in New Orleans. And there is some rebuilding. I won't know until I get there.

If anyone is interested in helping us, give me a call. We're leaving from Garland at 7am Oct 7 (Sunday) and returning to the same parking lot on Saturday evening Oct 13. No particular skills required beyond a smile on your face and love in your heart. We even had a one-armed man helping with the construction on one trip. No kidding.

Gotta go now. Beaven is hammering something outside.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

See Mom- I read it. Em