About Me

My photo
I'm pretty much a typist for the Holy Spirit. I try to put those things into words in a blog called Jane's Journey. I have another blog for recipes called My Life in Food. Also Really Cool Stuff features Labyrinths and other things like how to fry an egg on the sidewalk.(first step: don't do it on the sidewalk, use a skillet) Come along with me as I careen through life.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Maybe a Few Words Today


I may take the week off this week. I’m back from Guatemala and had a wonderful time. Thank you, Elizabeth for posting to the blog for me last week. Right now, we’re in Day Three of Grandmother Camp and I’m sore from swimming the past two days. I thought I’d have plenty of words for you from either my trip to Guatemala or Synod Youth Workshop. But I don’t this morning. I barely have words at all. Maybe it’s the whirlwind of keeping up with the grands. I’m just feeling a little blurry this morning. Whatever words of wisdom that lay fallow deep within my brain will have to lie there for another week. Until then, there are two experiences I’ve had on my two trips that are not necessarily wise but interesting:

At Synod Youth Workshop I had the best time I think I’ve ever had. Maybe it was because I went as a sponsor with no responsibilities rather than as I usually go-- as a small group leader. All I had to do this week was breathe. No wonder I loved it. The highlight of the week, for me, was the eyeball photo one of the girls in the group took. We were sitting at a Hideaway Pizza waiting for our order and chilling out when, Laken, one of the girls in our group picked up my camera. She stared at it for a while then took a picture of her eyeball. This may be an old trick—forgive me if I sound dated here—but I got a huge kick out of it. We even sent the snap to the staff to exhibit during the slide show the next morning. This is why I love the event so much. Teenagers are just so inventive and uninhibited; you gotta love them for it.

About the only other new and exciting thing I’ve done lately was buy a pair of Crocs before I left for Guatemala. This was not to blindly follow the pop culture that dictates my every move. It had been raining every afternoon in the town where we would meet and the retreat facilitator advised the shoes because they are waterproof. I kind of like the shoes, especially going through security at the airport, because they are so easy to slip on and off. I like them so much, I got a pair for each of my granddaughters. But now I have to deal with the fights over the blue pair because the brown pair, in the words of the five year-old, “look nasty.”

One more thing before I close and go make pancakes for the girls: We arrived from Guatemala at the new international terminal at DFW airport. As we strode through customs into the terminal we joined a whole group of servicemen coming home from Iraq. The minute the guys went through the door there was thunderous applause with a CD player playing “Stars and Stripes Forever.” It really did give me chill bumps. Maybe we did learn something from Viet Nam, after all.

No comments: