About Me

My photo
I'm pretty much a typist for the Holy Spirit. I try to put those things into words in a blog called Jane's Journey. I have another blog for recipes called My Life in Food. Also Really Cool Stuff features Labyrinths and other things like how to fry an egg on the sidewalk.(first step: don't do it on the sidewalk, use a skillet) Come along with me as I careen through life.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Break 2012

I’m writing on the run today. I thought I would have lots of free time to write the blog today but I’m afraid I let my day get away from me. I have a touch of ADD but it’s not usually too much of a problem with my laid-back lifestyle to just let my mind go where it wants. But the grands are here for Spring Break and Beaven can only spend so much time at Chuck E Cheese. So my peace and quiet has a time limit.

I started my day slowly by making a batch of mozzarella cheese. This was my third time making it and I’m getting pretty good. I like to think of mistakes as just learning what doesn’t work. I know about five things that don’t work with making cheese. When I finished I noticed I was a little hungry so I had a plate of fresh mozarella and tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar then sprinkled a couple of leaves from the just-planted basil. Then I had a delicious garlic toast on the side.


This was my kind of lunch. The only way it could have been fresher was if the tomatoes had come from my own garden.

So I went to Lowes to get tomato plants.

When I got there I remembered that I want to build a bigger chicken coop for the new chickens who aren’t babies anymore. They’re more like pre-teens whose hair/feathers just hang there without any reason or rhyme. They are half-down/half-feathered and remind me of ten year old girls who insist on combing her own hair but didn’t do a very good job of it. Let me see if I can insert a video of them here.



A couple of days ago I let all 8 of them loose in the hall because they looked crowded in their box. You are probably picturing 8 chickens running around my house but I’m really not that stupid. I had them in the hall with all the doors closed so they couldn’t really go anywhere. No, there was no Lucy and Ethel scene just of bunch of prolifecally pooping chickens ruining my carpet in record time. So I lost any sympathy I had for them and decided we needed a bigger chicken coop.

At the store I found some great 2X4s at $2 each. I know a bargain in lumber when I see one, let me tell you. It was a fresh pallet and nobody had picked through it yet for the good sticks. I started throwing lumber in my cart and stopped myself just in time to remember I was in the SUV not the pick-up and it doesn’t really hold that much lumber. Usually I have a special way of loading 8-ft lumber into a Ford Escape but 8 sticks was a bit of a challenge. I couldn’t have fit one more thing in the car. Fortunately, I had totally forgotten by this time to buy tomato plants.

I’m not sure where I got the energy to do all this because I slept in the tent last night and don’t usually get very much rest doing that. We like to go outside and sleep in the tent during Spring Break because the night sounds are just so awesome. Our rule is that the low temperature expected must be over 60 degrees. We remember the night it dipped to 55 in the middle of the night and we had to haul ass back into the house at 3 a.m. Nobody wants to do that again.

I don’t have much more to report which is nice because I’m running out of time after making cheese and building a chicken coop. But there’s a bonus of sorts today.

Some of you may not know that I keep a couple other blogs going just not on a regular basis like this one. They are intended as reference material and I only post willy-nilly as the mood strikes me. One is a blog of family recipes called My Life in Food and the other one is called Really Cool Stuff because that’s what it is. If I haven’t given you enough words today go check those out. I think I’ll post a couple of new things like the Grocery Store Game and some new recipes, including the one for garlic toast. If I don’t get around to my brilliant Ultimate Fool-Proof Formula for Thank You notes you’ll want to check back for that.

Right now I've gotta go out to the tent for the evening.

No comments: